With all the festivities in full swing we bet you've already been to a handful of Christmas drinks, dinners, shows, nativities, carol services you name it. With each of them offering up oodles of the usual festive treats of a glass fizz or warming mulled wine, rich savouries and sweet delights.....all of which are totally irresistible of course!
Now don't get me wrong it is definitely a time to enjoy & indulge but you don't want to totally eradicate all the hard work of the last 11 months in one fell swoop. So how do you keep on track, or at least limit the damage?!
Don't Drink your Calories
And I'm not just talking about Alcohol! With all those tempting festive drinks in places like Costa & Starbucks, some of which contain the same amount of calories as a good meal, along with enough sugar to sink a battleship. It can be very easy to add on those pounds without even chewing. Then add alcohol into the mix, and you could easily be adding a pound a week just through beverages.
So what should you drink? Well, lots of water throughout the day. As the weather becomes colder we tend to drink a lot less water. De-hydration can be mistaken for hunger, so keeping hydrated can help manage your calorie intake. If you want to indulge in hot drinks, opt for fruit teas, Green Tea which is full of antioxidants, or a coffee based drink without the added syrups & sugars!
When it comes to alcohol, go for white spirits with light mixers. For example Vodka, soda water & fresh lime.
Make Good Choices
We all love a good Christmas meal. which you can still enjoy but opt for lean meats, load on the vegetables and avoid piling in too many processed carbohydrates such as breads & yorkshire puddings. Enjoy a pudding, but watch your portion sizes. Try to break in between courses so your stomach has time to tell your brain that you are full.
For me it's always the party buffet that has me seriously overindulging. I have a small selection of tasty treats, then go back again, and again and again! It's best to fill your plate once with everything you fancy, and then don't go back! Try to choose healthier alternatives such as crudités & lean meats.
If you are out at Christmas parties, dinners, drinks let's say 20% of the month, you can maintain a good healthy balanced diet the other 80%. This will assist you in keeping your weight and your energy levels stable over the festive period. You don't have to go all out for the entire month. Eat, drink & be merry at events, but then rein it in for the rest of the time. This will keep you on track.
Keep On Moving
It's very tempting to let your usual fitness regime slip during this time with so many other things to fit in. Don't! Add your workouts to your diary, just like you do with any other commitment. Arrange to train with a friend. Book yourself into your classes. Book in with your PT.
And on the days your are not training, aim to be active in some way. Walk the dog, cycle to the shops, dance around the kitchen or at the Christmas party. Keep active, stay energised.
But most of all have a happy & healthy festive season!